The main achieved results are:
- Successful realization of the stainless steel cavities with the new coating.
- The new coating avoids the use of toxic substances, such as nickel and cobalt cointained in standard enamelling.
- HEO highly resistant to thermal stress test and mechanical tests (> 5H on pencil test) cavities.
- HEO requires far less cleaning chemicals with respect to the state-of-the-art enamels ovens.
- Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) and Life Cycle Costs performed successfully (preliminary and real-life).
- Realization of a pre-production pilot line.
- Preparation of a technical functioning report containing the blueprints of the pilot line, description of its functioning and flows, and trials results.
- Pre-production pilot line tested, validated and working flawlessly.
- 50 cavities and 12 complete prototypes realized.
- 63 % energy saving of the pre-production pilot line with respect to state-of-the-art enamel plants as results of tests and trials.
- Confirmation (on European products and according to EN 50304:60350 (2009) ) of an effective ≈30% energy saving, as result on the tests on the cavities.
- HEO is compliant to A++ energy class.
- Assembled prototypes fully code compliant (temperature, condensation and packaging tests were successfully done).
- Energy to cook standard food evaluated on average 20% less in comparison to a black enamelled cavity.
- Life test performed (5 years of product simulated): performance were guaranteed over time.
- Full Market analysis performed, with two impact scenarios (EU and worldwide).
- The activities carried out and the results achieved during the HEO project actively disseminated.
Impacts on EU policy and the everyday life of the European citizens
- The savings in the global warming potential (GWP) from the HEO relative to conventional ovens range from 9%-61% over the oven lifetime (19 years), depending on the assumptions.
- The equivalent savings in the life cycle costs range from 41%-61%.
- At the EU28 level, the replacement of conventional domestic electric ovens by HEO would lead to save from 0.5-5.2 Mt CO2 eq./yr and from €0.5-1.96 bn/yr.
- Assuming an uptake rate of 5% per annum, it would take 20 years to achieve these benefits.
- The new coating allows to avoid toxic substances contained in standard enamel. This result, may contribute to improve human health and reduce welfare costs in EU28.
- As a result, policy makers should consider measures to encourage the uptake of energy efficient ovens, including financial incentives and ‘choice editing’ through legislation.